Surgical Technologist II
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posted on: March 20, 2023
--Under the direct supervision of a Registered Nurse or
physician and in accordance with the legal scope of competency and
within established standards of care, policies and procedures:
assists the physician during surgical procedures by performing
scrub duties.--Essential Responsibilities:
- The Certified Surgical Technician demonstrates proficiency by
exhibiting the following skills, competencies, and behaviors.
- Upholds Kaiser Permanente's Policies and Procedures, Principles
of Responsibilities and applicable state, federal and local
- Demonstrates a professional, supportive attitude.
- Identifies and supports new ideas.
- Utilizes effective communication strategies, including chain of
command and issue escalation, which result in intended
- Participates in problem identification and resolution in
collaboration with the Registered Nurse.
- Prioritizes work assignments appropriately to ensure completion
of patient care activities and notifies Registered Nurse if unable
to complete assignments.
- Complies with regulatory requirements, policies, procedures,
and standards of practice.
- Nursing Process:
- Correctly identifies patient and scheduled procedure.
- Performs patient care activities, within the scope of
competency, considering age-related needs of the patient as
assigned. Reports unusual findings to the Registered Nurse.
- Collects data and provides information in a timely manner to
the registered Nurse which may assist within the revision of the
plan of care.
- Discharge barriers are discussed with the Registered Nurse and
intervention taken as directed.
- Clinical Outcomes:
- Applies standard precautions; keeps a safe environment for self
- Observes patient/family conditions and reports to Registered
Nurse sudden changes or unusual findings.
- Demonstrates competencies during the probationary period and
ongoing by completion of departmental competency validation.
- Transports patients, equipment, supplies, and specimens
throughout the medical center utilizing proper body mechanics.
- Participates in departmental performance improvement
activities, i.e., planning, measuring/monitoring, assessing and
- Assembles and ensures all equipment/supplies/instruments are
appropriate, available, calibrated, and adjusted, in working order,
sterilized per protocol and organized for upcoming procedure.
- Sets up and organizes room.
- Performs scrub role (e.g., anticipates surgeon's needs, pass
instruments, cut sutures, hold retractors, obtain/process tissue
samples) according to standard.
- Assists physician within scope of competency.
- Assists with transfer, transport, and stabilization of patient
within the scope of competency.
- Cleans instruments, containers, and equipment according to
established guidelines and reassembles packs, prepares for
sterilization and/or returns to Central Processing.
- Operates sterilization equipment.
- Operates equipment safely and reports defective equipment upon
- Cleans, lubricates, and performs preventive maintenance.
- Utilizes computer systems effectively and efficiently.
- Customer Service:
- Practices customer service standards as defined by the Service
Area, Medical Center, and specific department.
- Anticipates the customer's desires, takes proactive steps to
meet those needs by listening and taking responsibility within
scope to ensure issues are resolved.
- Assists members who are less than satisfied with their
experience by listening and taking responsibility within their
scope to ensure that the issue is resolved.
- Promptly answers call lights, alarms, and patient
- Under the direction of the Registered Nurse, gives patients and
their significant others the information needed within their scope
- Maintains and protects patient confidentiality.
- Assures a clean, orderly and functional work environment.
- Team Commitment:--
- Viewed by others to be an effective team member who is
flexible, cooperative, and willing to assist others.
- Confronts difficult or conflict situations constructively and
seeks appropriate assistance.
- Takes accountability for own actions and accepts constructive
- Assists others unfamiliar to the department.
- Attends all mandatory meetings and inservices, a minimum of 50%
of staff meetings, and actively participates in other departmental
professional development (Requirement may vary for per diem
- Participates with the assessment of current and future unit
learning needs and development of annual educational plan.
- Keeps self-informed of activities on the unit and makes
recommendation for change.
- Adheres to Regional Attendance Policy.
- Reports to assigned area promptly, being present and available
for report at beginning of assigned shift.
- Minimizes personal phone call time.
- Supports a collaborative labor-management partnership
- Fiscal Responsibility:--
- Organizes work to minimize the use of overtime.
- Identifies and assists in systems improvement that need
simplification or correction.
- Utilizes payroll and non- payroll resources to their maximum
potential.Pay Grade: 26--Basic Qualifications:Experience
- Two (2) years within the last three years operating room
scrubbing or equivalent military experience, including a variety of
- Graduate of approved surgical technologist or military
equivalent program.License, Certification, Registration
- Surgical Technologist Certification from the National Board of
Surgical Technology and Surgical Assistants (NBSTSA) and/or
National Center for Competency Testing (NCCT).
- BLS.--Additional Requirements:
- Experience requirements may be waived or modified when an
appropriate program or course is available and successfully
- Maintains required certifications as applicable.
- Communicates in a clear, concise manner appropriate to the
development stage of the patient.
- Has full command of the English language (written and
- Temporary 6 month position, with ability to extendJob Schedule:
Job Category: Clinical Support, Surgical Technician
Keywords: Kaiser, Thousand Oaks , Surgical Technologist II, Healthcare , Thousand Oaks, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...