Principal Scientist - Cell Therapy Process Development
Company: Atara Biotherapeutics
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posted on: June 4, 2021
This position will work with the Process Sciences teams to
develop and characterize cell therapy manufacturing processes and
products. The Principal Scientist will be responsible for
developing new manufacturing platform technologies, designing
closed system processes and automating manufacturing platforms to
support Atara's T cell products. He/she will be responsible for
Upstream process development and process characterization of
scale-up/scale-down cell manufacturing processes. Under minimal
supervision, you will be expected to design and perform
experiments, organize and carefully document results, as well as
analyze and interpret results, and communicate findings through
Reports to Director of Cell Therapy Process Development
Work Location Thousand Oaks, CA
- Individually contributing and leading a team of 2-3 Engineers/
Scientists on development and optimization of upstream bioreactor
- Become the Subject Matter Expert (SME) for bioreactor culture
and operations for T-cell Manufacturing
- Manage the design and execution of studies to establish
operating and performance parameters (design space) for T cell
- Performs gap analysis and risk assessments to identify problems
and deficiencies, as well as provide recommendations for studies
and solutions to manufacturing process.
- Support the development of standard operating procedures, FMEA,
batch records, and analytical sampling plans.
Education and Experience
- PhD in a biological or engineering science with 5+ years of
industry related experience, OR Master's Degree with 8+ years of
related industry experience OR Bachelor's Degree with 10+ years of
- Knowledge and experience in mammalian cell culture /
biotechnology related development (aseptic operations, cell
biology, & upstream cell manufacturing processes).
- Experience with process characterization, scale-up and closed
- Experience with process automation and high throughput data
management in JMP.
- Basic in-process analytical skills including the following
techniques: multicolor flow cytometry, cell-based bioassays,
- Ability to follow laboratory procedures with attention to
detail, and successfully execute experiments at the bench.
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment with minimal direction
and able to adjust workload based upon changing priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to manage project per timeline, maintain
lab execution records and perform data analysis
- Prior experience developing suspension bioreactor processes in
- Familiarity with development and /or commercialization of
- Basic understanding of cGMP requirements.
- Experience using Design of Experiment (DOE) and JMP SAS
- Experience in Biotech / API DeltaV batch applications.
- Role model for Atara TRAIT values (Transparency, Respect,
Accountability, Integrity, Trust)
More about Atara Bio
We launched Atara Biotherapeutics in August 2012 to help
patients with serious diseases and few therapeutic options. We are
considered a leading off-the-shelf T-cell immunotherapy company
(Nasdaq ATRA) developing novel treatments for patients with cancer,
autoimmune and viral diseases.
We're proud of our team of 425+ Atarians co-located by design in
4 different locations including South San Francisco (corporate
headquarters), Thousand Oaks (R&D and manufacturing
headquarters), Zug, Switzerland (european headquarters) and a
R&D site in the Denver, Colorado area. Our Southern California
hub is anchored by a new 90,000 sq. ft., state-of-the-art Atara
T-Cell Operations and Manufacturing (ATOM) facility. Our mission -
"Transform the lives of patients with serious medical conditions
through pioneering science, teamwork, and a commitment to
Our vision - "T-Cell Immunotherapy for every patient, any
Atara offers a competitive benefits packages that includes
medical/dental/vision benefits, life and disability, retirement and
stock program, as well as a generous paid time off and wellness
plan that supports the well-being of our staff. Visit
www.atarabio.com/careers to learn more.
Atara Bio is an equal opportunity employer and makes employment
decisions on the basis of merit and other lawful factors. In
accordance with applicable law, the Company prohibits
discrimination based on race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender
(including pregnancy, childbirth or medical condition related to
pregnancy or childbirth), gender identity, expression or dysphoria,
marital status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or
mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, veteran
status, caregiver status, sexual orientation, transgender status or
any other classification protected by federal, state or local laws
or because of the individual's association with a member of a
protected group or connection to an organization or group related
to a protected group.We comply with all applicable national, state
and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment as well as
employment eligibility verification requirements of the Immigration
and Nationality Act. All applicants must have authorization to work
for Atara Bio in the United States.
Keywords: Atara Biotherapeutics, Thousand Oaks , Principal Scientist - Cell Therapy Process Development, Other , Thousand Oaks, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!