Head of Automation
Company: Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Ltd
Location: Thousand Oaks
Posted on: June 6, 2021
By clicking the "Apply" button, I understand that my employment
application process with Takeda will commence and that the
information I provide in my application will be processed in line
that all information I submit in my employment application is true
to the best of my knowledge.
The Head of Automation is a member of the engineering leadership
team and responsible for managing the automation engineering staff,
providing technical support, and implementing capital projects at
the Thousand Oaks Plant. This includes both the Rancho and Lawrence
The Head of Automation is responsible for developing and
implementing an innovative and compelling vision and strategy for
the future of the Automation Group, including Manufacturing
Intelligence and Digitization to meet the site's objectives.
Responsible for implementation of strategic initiatives by
developing plans with feedback from key stakeholders and leading
the team through the execution plans. Drive strategic initiatives
to ensure that life cycle management of automated systems is
appropriate and complete.
Liaise between Manufacturing and Facility clients and external
engineering and vendor resources in the conceptual design, detailed
design, specification, procurement, construction, commissioning,
and qualification of automation systems for cGMP production
Provide engineering expertise and direction to employees and
contractors to meet project and support schedules and financial
goals while ensuring technical success. Engage with the Takeda and
external network, such as global engineering, manufacturing sites,
industry forums and subject matter experts to drive continuous
innovation. Leverage network to solve complex equipment and process
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Displays and drives Takeda culture of Takeda-ism, PTRB, safety,
and quality into the organization.
- Must be able to display in-depth knowledge and expertise in
process automation aspects including such technologies as Cell
Culture, Purification, Filling & Packaging, as well as Cell Therapy
- Lead and manage a group of automation engineers and represent
the automation engineering function to other partner groups such as
IT, Quality, Validation; Manufacturing, Facilities, Global
Engineering and Global Automation, ensuring the quality of work and
appropriate resources are in place to support ongoing initiatives,
operations and projects requiring Automation Support.
- Coach, motivate, develop, recognize, and mentor the engineering
staff, including senior level engineers and managers. Being a
mentor developing future leaders.
- Develop & nurture core competencies of the automation SMEs at
sites to ensure technical capabilities are built and that knowledge
and experience are maintained.
- Support Manufacturing and Operations by providing strategic
direction and tactical support. Troubleshoot day-to-day issues,
assigning personnel as necessary to provide comprehensive
- Be aware of technology automation trends and benchmarks in the
industry. Benchmark against peers so that Takeda Thousand Oaks is
in-line with industry.
- Assist and provide resources in various stages of the
engineering project lifecycle from conceptual design, detailed
design, specification, implementation, commissioning,
qualification, trouble-shooting and continuous improvement of
automation and instrumentation for biopharmaceutical production and
supporting utility systems
- Through coaching, direct others to resolve project issues based
on own demonstrated success in solving difficult and complex
- Provide leadership to assess and provide guidance on risk
assessments regarding requirements for redundancies to automation
- Assess, analyze, advise, propose, and direct improvements that
will deliver greater productivity, capacity, reliability, and
compliance for the Automation Department.
- Establish, develop, and drive Good Engineering Practices in all
projects undertaken and support services provided. Utilize standard
methodologies that have been established for project and portfolio
management as well as maintenance work order management.
- Participate in and facilitate the harmonization and
coordination of efforts between other teams such as Validation,
Manufacturing, Facilities Engineering, Maintenance, Manufacturing
Services, R&D, EHS and Regulatory.
- Ensure compliance to all regulatory GMP, Safety and
- Shall interface with regulatory agency representative (e.g.
FDA/EMA) as the site Automation SME during internal and external
audits and shall be able to defend current practices to such
- Strong skills to work in matrix organization with excellent
interpersonal, communication, influencing, and negotiation skills
- Sound industry knowledge, project proficiency, and autonomy
expected. May be considered a Subject Matter Expert (SME) in
- Demonstrates strong communication skills to effectively
communicate with all levels of professionals, both internal and
- Ensures and is accountable for all deliverables including
schedule milestones, financial performance, and quality of scope
according to the assigned projects.
- Manage contractors and external vendors to deliver robust
- Manage and forecast capital and expense budgets.
- Must have strong communication skills in order to effectively
communicate with all levels of professionals, both internal and
- Strong process engineering skills based on sound engineering
and scientific principles preferably with a bio-technology
- Proven track record of management/leadership
- Ability to design and influence outside of immediate scope of
- Must have experience in preparing project budgets and
- Must have experience in defining, executing, and managing
pre-conceptual, conceptual, basic, and detail designs.
- Strong problem solving and trouble shooting skills
- Business acumen
Education and/or experience
- Bachelor's degree in in Engineering; preferably
- Minimum 12 years of experience with process automation, design,
process improvement and projects.
- Minimum 4 years of leadership experience
- Scope requires an in-depth knowledge of pharmaceutical industry
relevant to process automation systems, and general working GMP
knowledge of pharmaceutical manufacturing facilities and
- Knowledge of systems such as Allen Bradley PLC platforms,
Schneider Electric, Johnson Controls, DeltaV, SCADA systems, PI
Historian, Siemens PLC S7, iFix, iHistorian, Industrial Ethernet
networks, Profibus and AS-I networks
The overall physical exertion of this position is mostly
- Normal office environment.
- Pace will be fast and job completion demands may be high.
- Normal office environment. May occasionally work in labs or
manufacturing area with gowning required.
- May travel up to 10% for business purposes
- May occasionally have to work early in the morning or late at
night, to accommodate interactions with partners in different time
- May work around chemicals such as alcohol, acids, buffers and
celite that may require respiratory protection.
- Pace may be fast and job completion demands may be high.
This job posting excludes CO applicants.
USA - CA - Thousand Oaks - Rancho Canejo
Keywords: Takeda Pharmaceutical Company Ltd, Thousand Oaks , Head of Automation, Other , Thousand Oaks, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!